Follow us on the trail!
This is an up to the minute track of the group on the serum run expedition. We hope that you will follow the group as they make their way down the trail. For more information, our support team will be updating our Serum Run Facebook Group page. Tell you friends to follow along too.
A group of thirteen adventures will take off in Nenana on the way to Nome on an epic 18 day journey that re-traces the original 1925 Serum Run. The group will leave Nenana on Saturday February 22 and arrive in Nome 18 days later on March 10. Each night along the 700+ mile trail they will be staying in lodges, community centers, schools, public use cabins and arctic oven tents. The group will also do some community service projects including: vaccine clinics for dogs in the villages, showing the mushing documentary Attla, and doing some trail work along the coast by hanging signs. When the group arrives in Nome they will be having a finishers banquet and it will be open to the public. Date and time TBA.
A little history of the serum run: Back in 1997 the great arctic explorer, Col. Norman Vaughn started a non-profit to pay homage to the past and bring history to life. These serum run expeditions were held every other year with the last one running in 2011.
In 2011 Robert was kennel partners with one of the organizers for the serum run trip and had plans to go the following year but the non-profit disbanded. In 2015 Robert and two other past serum run participants began planning a new event based loosely on the trips done in the past. They were all set to go and we had to cancel the trip because of lack of snow.
Step back a year and in 2014 Robert retuned to college and earned a degree in outdoor leadership and the serum run expedition was always on his mind. In 2016 he designed a one-of-a-kind winter multi-sport expedition that would prove to be the building blocks of the current iteration of the serum run trip. On that winter multi-sport expedition Robert lead a group of nine outdoor leadership students on a week-long trip leaving from Willow, Alaska. They travelled more than 170 miles by dog team. fat bikes and snow machines.
The winter multi-sport expedition became a college course for credit at UAA and is the only one like it in the country. The course was taught by Robert and his assistant Miranda Sheely in 2018.
In 2018, Robert enrolled in a masters program at Liberty University to pursue a degree in outdoor adventure sport and designed his masters project as the 2020 trip. In that project Robert was required to do all of the logistics and pre-trip planning and have it set to go in February 2020. In October 2019 Robert presented his research and planning of the serum run trip to a round-table panel at the AORE conference in Spokane, Washington and received a lot of great feedback from academics and outdoor professionals from around the world.
If all goes well Robert hopes to continue the expeditions in the years to come. If you have an interest in a future trip please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
In the months to come, Robert will be presenting on the trip at several outdoor industry conferences, and other places around Alaska and the Lower 48 as part of his masters project. The other participants are planning on doing similar presentations as well. Dates and times TBA.
How can you help?
Please consider becoming a supporter of our expedition. By becoming a Patron we have several really cool perks. All patrons will be listed on our website and our podcast. Please click on the button
Robert Forto–Trip Leader
Robert is from Willow, Alaska and runs a 40 dog mushing kennel, Team Ineka with his wife Michele. This trip is part of a larger masters degree project.
Stephanie Masters-Johnson–Musher Coordinator
Stephanie is from Nome Alaska and is the co-orgaizner for the trip. Going on the serum run is a life-ling dream for her.
Juliah is from Trapper Creek, Alaska
Kathleen Frederick–Musher Coordinator
Kathleen is from Palmer, Alaska. She is done the serum run and the Iditarod before.
Marla is from Massachusetts and is the owner and operator of Hilltown Sled Dogs.
Kirsten is from Nome, Alaska. She has done Iditarod before.
Phil Pryzmont–Trail Boss
Phil is from Nome, Alaska and is our trail boss which means he is responsible for the trail marking and figuring out the daily logistics to get us all down the trail safely and efficiently. Phil has done the serum run before.
Carla is from Willow, Alaska and is an Iditarod finisher.
Cody is from Oregon. He works as a winter guide and a tiny house builder.
Bill is from Palmer, Alaska. He grew up on a dairy farm and is traveling the serum run trail with his wife, Kathleen.
Gil Van Sciver–Veterinarian
Gil is from Delaware and is our veterinarian. He travels to Nome, Alaska to offer veterinary services several times a year.
Frank is from Nome, Alaska
Lou is from Wasilla, Alaska and is our medical doctor on the trip. He has run the Iditraod before.
The book that started it all. I remember reading this book when it came out and shortly before I moved up to Alaska and said, one day I will plan a trip based on this!
Serum Run Podcast Series on Dog Works Radio
Did you know that Robert and his podcast co-host Alex Stein did a podcast series on the serum run? Its very good! You can listen to it here.
Below you will find our trip schedule. Each night we are in a different location. After the trip we will update with stories from the trail, pictures, video and podcast interview with all of the participants.
Day 1: Nenana to Old Minto (arrival on 2/22/20)
Approx. Miles: 28
The adventurers will arrive in Nenana the night before and do any last minute preparations. We will have one last meal together with our family and friends and have a meeting before we embark on our journey the next morning. Nenana is on the “road system” and is about 300 miles from Anchorage and about an hour south of Fairbanks. Our adventures will meet each other, many for the first time.
Our adventurers come from as far away as Massachusetts and Delaware. Most of us are either from the Mat-Su Valley or Nome in Alaska.
Early Saturday morning we will hook up the dog teams, secure our gear and supplies for the the next three days on the snowmachines and kiss our family and friends goodbye. Our family and friends will be traveling home with our dog trucks and trailers and anxiously wait for our finish in Nome over two and a half weeks later.
We will be on the trail heading from Nenana to Old Minto.
Nenana was the railroad stop for the original serum run in 1925 where they handed off the antitoxin to start its voyage onward to Nome by ‘Wild Bill’ Shannon.
When we arrive in Old Minto we will be staying at a small camp that is used as a native rehab center.
Day 2: Old Minto to Beaver Point Lodge (arrive 2/23/20)
Approx. Miles: 35
On day two of our expedition we will be traveling about 35 miles from Old Minto to Beaver Point Lodge. Our gracious hosts are already preparing for our stay. They will have to fly into the lodge several times to get the place ready and put in a trail for us. They will be providing us with luscious meals.
Day 3: Beaver Point Lodge to Manley (arrive 2/24/20)
Approx. Miles: 35
On day three of our serum run expedition we will travel from Old Minto to Manley. We will be traveling 35 miles.
We will be staying in the lodge and in serum run expeditions of the past this spot has been the place where they stayed for a couple days. Manley is accessible by road and we will have our last contact with the “road system” for the next two and a a half weeks when a friend of ours will deliver our last batch of straw.
A little history of the area:
The Manley Hot Springs area was founded way back in 1902 by In 1902 a prospector, John Karshner, discovered several hot springs in the area. He began a homestead and vegetable farm. In the same year, the United States Army built a telegraph station. The area became a service and supply point for miners in the Tofty and Eureka mining districts. It was known as Baker’s Hot Springs, after nearby Baker Creek.
Farming and livestock operations in the area produced fresh meat, poultry, and produce for sale. In 1903, Sam’s Rooms and Meals, now called the Manley Roadhouse, opened. The Manley Roadhouse was owned by Robert E. Lee, who was also the town’s postmaster until his death in 2010. In 1907 a miner named Frank Manley built the Hot Springs Resort Hotel. The resort was a four-story building with 45 guest rooms, steam heat, electric lights, hot baths, a bar, a restaurant, a billiard room, a bowling alley, a barber shop, and an Olympic-size indoor swimming pool which used heated water from the hot springs. During the summer, the hotel’s private boat transported guests from steamers on the Tanana River. In the winter, an overland stagecoach trip from Fairbanks took two days. The town was renamed Hot Springs.
The resort and the mining in the area caused the town to prosper. It had a store, a newspaper, a bakery, clothing stores and other businesses. The population of the area in 1910 was more than 500. In 1913 the resort burned to the ground. Mining activity was also in decline and by 1920 only 29 residents lived in Hot Springs.
The town’s name was changed to Manley Hot Springs in 1957.
Day 4: Manley to Tanana (arrive 2/25/20)
Approx. Miles: 55
Movie and vaccine clinic
On day four of our expedition we are on the trail for the longest day yet at about 55 miles. This is where the real fun will begin. We will have left behind the safety and comfort of the road system and our family and friends and this will be our last stop before we hit the mighty Yukon River.
In Tanana it will be our first opportunity for a re-supply as we all send out supplies ahead of time. In these supplies we have food and provisions for dogs and people and enough to last us for the next few days of travel. Hopefully we don’t get socked in by weather.
During our time in Tanana it will be our first opportunity to give back. A big part of this trip was to do service projects along the trail. Here we will be giving a vaccine clinic and showing the movie Attla to the residents of the village.
Day 5: Tanana to Bone Yard Cabin (arrive 2/26/20)
Approx. Miles: 42
We will be on day five of the expedition at this point. Welcome to the mighty Yukon! For the next six days we will be traveling on the river for a total trail miles of 256, well more than a quarter of the trip. Tonight will be the first night of several on the trip where we will be staying in our arctic oven tents and/or old trapper or pubic use cabins along the trail. Over the next week it will test the resilience of the teams, dogs and humans alike.
Day 6: Bone Yard Cabin to Trapper Cabin (arrive 2/27/20)
Approx. Miles: 45
On the sixth day of the expedition we will have been on the Yukon River for two days. The long days on the wide, expansive river are hard on the dog teams. Most dog teams get bored easily on these long runs and because the scenery never changes. It can be really hard on the snow machiers too with all the jumbled ice from the river heaving and hoing and creating a bumpy ride full of moguls. This will also be our second night in either our arctic oven tents or one of the trapper cabins along the river bank.
Day 7: Trapper Cabin to Ruby (arrive 2/28/20)
Approx. Miles: 35
Movie and vaccine clinic
Our third full day on the mighty Yukon but tonight we will be back in “civilization” when we visit Ruby. Our gracious host, and also our new friend, Billy Honea will be greeting us when we arrive. This is also a spot where we will get our second re-supply and will will be showing the Attla movie and a vaccine clinic the next morning for the local village dogs. If we are lucky we may be able to use the local laundry facilities and showers since it has been a week since we have cleaned ourselves up.
Day 8: Ruby to Galena (arrive 2/29/20)
Approx. Miles: 50
Movie and vaccine clinic
Our fourth day of travel on the mighty Yukon but also a nice village to stay in for the night in Galena. It will be a long 50 mile run and should take us about eight or nine hours. Galena is supposed to be one of the best in terms of hospitality on the trail and we will be looking forward to it.
A little history of the area: The Koyukon Athabascans had seasonal camps in the area and moved as the wild game migrated. In the summer many families floated on rafts to the Yukon River to fish for salmon. There were 12 summer fish camps located on the Yukon River between the Koyukuk River and the Nowitna River. Galena was established in 1918 near an Athabascan fish camp called Henry’s Point. It became a supply and point for nearby lead ore mines that opened in 1918 and 1919, and from which the place takes its name. Also during the Cold War there was even an Air Force base in the area.
Day 9: Galena to Nulato (arrive 3/1/20)
Approx. Miles: 48
The fifth day on the Yukon and I am sure we are tired of it and want a change of scenery. At least there is Bishops Rock. We will be staying the night in the small community of Nulato which has quite this history.
Nulato was a location for trade between the Koyukon people and Inupiat people of the Kobuk River area before the arrival of Europeans.
In 1838, the Russian explorer Malakov established a trading post in Nulato. The Kokukuk River people massacred a large part of the population of Nulato on February 16, 1851, during the Athapaskan uprising.
After the Alaska Purchase, a United States military telegraph line was constructed along the north side of the Yukon River. The gold rush along the Yukon River that began in 1884 brought many new diseases to the area and many people died. Our Lady of Snows Roman Catholic mission and school were opened in 1887 and many people moved to Nulato to be near the school. A measles epidemic and food shortages during 1900 reduced the population of the area by one-third. 1900 was also the peak year for steamboat travel on the Yukon River, with 46 boats in operation. That summer, two boats per day stopped at Nulato to purchase firewood.
Gold prospectors left the Yukon River area for Fairbanks and Nome in 1906. Lead mining began around neighboring Galena in 1919. This of course eventually led to the Nome Gold Rush and then later on the Diphtheria epidemic that was the reason behind the 1925 serum run.
Day 10: Nulato to Kaltag (arrive 3/2/20)
Approx. Miles: 36
Our sixth and final day on the mighty Yukon River. More than 200 miles traveled on this huge expanse. It is also trip-leader, Robert, Forto’s birthday and he will be celebrating it in style on the trail!
In the small village of Kaltag we will be picking up our third re-supply for the dogs and people on the trail.
A little history of the area: Kaltag was a Koyokon Athabascan area used as a cemetery for surrounding villages. It is located on an old portage trail which led west through the mountains to Unalakleet. The Athabascans had seasonal camps in the area and moved as the wild game migrated. There were 12 summer fish camps located on the Yukon River between the Koyukuk River and the Nowitna River.
Kaltag was named by Russians for a Koyokon man named Kaltaga.
There was a smallpox epidemic in 1839 that killed a large part of the population of the area.
After the Alaska Purchase, a United States military telegraph line was constructed along the north side of the Yukon River. A trading post opened around 1880, just before the gold rush of 1884-85. Steamboats on the Yukon, which supplied gold prospectors ran before and after 1900 with 46 boats in operation on the river in the peak year of 1900. A measles epidemic and food shortages during 1900 reduced the population of the area by one-third. The village Kaltag was established after the epidemic when survivors from three nearby villages moved to the area.
There was a minor gold rush in the area in the 1880s. In 1906, gold seekers left for Fairbanks or Nome; however, the galena lead mines began operating in 1919. Kaltag was downriver from the mines and grew as a point on the transportation route for the mines. It declined in the 1940s as mining declined.
The old cemetery caved into the river around 1937. An airport and clinic were constructed during the 1960s.
Kaltag has a week long Stick Dance (memorial Potlatch) every two years that draws visitors from many neighboring villages. This Potlatch is sponsored by relatives of the recently deceased, in appreciation of those who helped during their time of mourning.
Much of the economy around Kaltag is based on subsistence hunting and fishing. Salmon, whitefish, moose, bear, waterfowl and berries are elements of the subsistence economy.
Day 11: Kaltag to Old Woman Cabin (arrive 3/3/20)
Approx. Miles: 48
We will finally be off the Yukon River and making our way toward the coast but before we do we have to spend the night at Old Woman Cabin. Legend has it that it’s haunted.
Old Woman — the name of both the mountain and the cabin — is the threshold where our expedition transitions from a protective inland run to one that cuts through the harsh, whistling winds along the Bering Sea coastline, the last leg before the finish line in Nome.
Old Woman’s also a place long known among Iditarod racers to harbor wandering spirits.
The haunting presence is so well known that race organizers warn mushers to “be sure you leave something, such as candy. for the Old Woman when you leave. Legend has it that she loves candy! You don’t want her ghost-chasing you to Nome and throwing bad luck your way.”
There’s something about the mountain and the old cabin — which, legend has it, belonged to a woman who once lived there and may never have left — that infiltrates a musher’s desires.
Day 12: Old Woman Cabin to Unalakleet (arrive 3/4/20)
Approx. Miles: 33
Movie and vaccine clinic
We are headed toward the coast and the last third of the expedition as we work our way to the village of Unalakleet. This will be the largest city that we will have seen since we left almost two weeks ago. We will be picking up a re-supply and if we are lucky we will enjoy some of the best pizza on the planet from Peace on Earth.
A little history of the area: Unalakleet is located at the Norton Sound end of the Unalakleet-Kaltag Portage, an important winter travel route between Norton Sound and the Yukon River. Unalakleet has long been a major trade center between the Athabascans who lived in the interior of Alaska and the Inupiat who lived on the coast. The Russian-American Company built a trading post here at Unalakleet in the 1830s. Sami reindeer herders from Lapland were brought to Unalakleet to teach sound herding practices in 1898. In 1901, the United States Army Signal Corps built a 605-mile (974 km) telegraph line from St. Michael that passed through Unalakleet.
Day 13: Unalakleet to Shaktoolik (arrive 3/5/20)
Approx. Miles: 40
On this day of the expedition we will be doing a lot of climbing and racing down the hills of the infamous Blueberry Hills as we head toward the village of Shaktoolik which was talked about in the recent movie about Togo on Disney+.
A little history of the area: Shaktoolik was the first and southernmost Malemiut settlement on Norton Sound, occupied as early as 1839. Twelve miles northwest, on Cape Denbigh, is the Iyatayet Site that is 6,000 to 8,000 years old, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Shaktoolik was first mapped in 1842-44 by Lt. Lavrenty Zagoskin, Imperial Russian Navy, who called it “Tshaktogmyut.” “Shaktoolik” is derived from an Unaliq word, “suktuliq”, meaning “scattered things”.
Reindeer herds were managed in the Shaktoolik area around 1905. The village was originally located six miles up the Shaktoolik River, and moved to the mouth of the River in 1933. This site was prone to severe storms and winds, however, and the village relocated to its present, more sheltered location in 1967. There are presently only two occupied dwellings at the old townsite. The City was incorporated in 1969.
Day 14: Shaktoolik to Koyuk (arrive 3/6/20)
Approx. Miles: 40
At this point of the expedition we will have been on the trail for two weeks. Getting to Koyuk is going to be a challenge to all the dog teams and snow machines. We will be crossing over the sea ice. If you have seen the recent Disney+ movie, Togo you know the scene we are talking about. It shouldn’t be nearly as dramatic as the movie but it can prove to have its own challenges. Several times in the past few years Iditarod mushers have steered off course on the sea ice and has made for some hair-raising days on the trail.
Day 15: Koyuk to Elim (arrive 3/7/20)
Approx. Miles: 48
Another long day on the trail as we travel from Koyuk to Elim. We have been on the trail for more than two weeks at this point and we can see the finish that should be in about four more days. There is not much listed about the history of the area so we will just wait and see what it brings.
Day 16: Elim to White Mountain (arrive 3/8/20)
Approx. Miles: 48
Movie and vaccine clinic
As we travel to White Mountain we will only be about 80 miles from Nome! Many of our family and friends will be headed up to Nome in the next day or two to wait for our arrival and we will all be happy to see familiar faces after spending so much time with our team-mates on the trail.
A little history of the area: The area that is present day White Mountain began as the Eskimo fish camp Nachirvik which means “mountain look-up point.” The bountiful resources of both the Niukluk and the Fish rivers supported the Native populations there. The community grew with the influx of white prospectors during the Klondike Gold Rush. The first non-Native structure was a warehouse built by the miner Charles D. Lane to store supplies for his claim in the Council District. It was the site of a government-subsidized orphanage, which became an industrial school in 1926. The Covenant Church was built in 1937. A Russian Orthodox Church was built about 1920 (although no longer utilized, the church log cabin building is still standing). A post office was opened in 1932. The tribal government re-organized under the Indian Reorganization Act (IRA) in 1939. The city was incorporated in 1969.
Today, White Mountain is most notable as the last of three mandatory rest stops for teams competing in the annual Iditarod. All mushers are required to take an 8-hour rest stop at White Mountain before making the final push to the end of the race, 77 miles away in Nome.
Day 17: White Mountain to Safety/Nuuk (arrive 3/9/20)
Approx. Miles: 55
Our next to the last day on the trail happens to be one of the longest. Only two days of the entire expedition is 55 miles on the trail. The rest of the days average between 30 and 50. While we will be able to practically see the end in sight we still have almost 80 miles to the finish.
A little history about Safety: As many of you that follow the Iditarod know this is the last checkpoint the trail and even though its only about 22 miles many of the races can be won or lost in this last stretch. The Safety roadhouse is infamous but we will be spending the night just a couple miles further down the trail at the Nuuk camp.
There are many unique places on the Iditarod race trail. A spot that comes up daily in conversation as the mushers leave White Mountain and head to Nome is the Safety Road House. Back in the days when the dog team was the essential mode of transportation for supplies and people, road houses sprung up along trails a day’s travel apart. The Safety Road House is twenty two miles from Nome. When dog power ruled over horse power, twenty to twenty-five miles was considered a good day’s travel.
Day 18: Safety to Nome (arrive 3/10/20)
Approx. Miles: 22
After more than 18 days on the trail we should arrive in Nome on Mars 10, 2020. It will be bittersweet to see our long planned expedition come to to an end. We will be having a finishers banquet and it will be open to the public. As we get closer we will let you know.
A little history of Nome:
Inupiat hunted for game on the west coast of Alaska from prehistoric times and there is recent archeological evidence to suggest that there was an Inupiat settlement at Nome, known in Inupiat as Sitnasuak, before the discovery of gold.
In the summer of 1898, the “Three Lucky Swedes”: Norwegian-American Jafet Lindeberg, and two naturalized American citizens of Swedish birth, Erik Lindblom and John Brynteson, discovered gold on Anvil Creek. News of the discovery reached the outside world that winter. By 1899, Nome had a population of 10,000 and the area was organized as the Nome mining district. In that year, gold was found in the beach sands for dozens of miles along the coast at Nome, which spurred the stampede to new heights. Thousands more people poured into Nome during the spring of 1900 aboard steamships from the ports of Seattle and San Francisco. By 1900, a tent city on the beaches and on the treeless coast reached 48 km (30 mi), from Cape Rodney to Cape Nome. In June of that year, Nome averaged 1000 newcomers a day.
In 1899, Charles D. Lane founded Wild Goose Mining & Trading Co. Lane through his company constructed the Wild Goose Railroad, which ran from Nome to Dexter Discovery. The Railroad would later be extend in 1906-1908 to the village of Shelton also known as Lanes Landing.
Many late-comers tried to “jump” the original claims by filing mining claims covering the same ground.The federal judge for the area ruled the original claims valid, but some of the claim jumpers agreed to share their invalid claims with influential Washington politicians. Alexander McKenzie took an interest in the gold rush and secured the appointment of Arthur Noyes as the federal district judge for the Nome region for the purpose of taking control of gold placer mines in Nome. McKenzie seized mining claims with an unlawfully procured receivership granted by Judge Noyes. McKenzie’s claim-jumping scheme was eventually stopped by the federal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. However, the episode provided the plot for Rex Beach’s best-selling novel The Spoilers (1906), which was made into a stage play, then five times into movies, including two versions starring John Wayne: The Spoilers (1942 film) (co-starring Marlene Dietrich) and North to Alaska (1960, the theme of which mentions Nome.) Wyatt Earp, of Tombstone, Arizona fame, stayed in Nome for a while. In September 1899, Earp and partner Charles E. Hoxie built the Dexter Saloon, the city’s first two-story wooden building and its largest and most luxurious saloon out of more than 60 saloons.
During the period from 1900−1909, estimates of Nome’s population reached as high as 20,000.The highest recorded population of Nome, in the 1900 United States census, was 12,488. At this time, Nome was the largest city in the Alaska Territory. Early in this period, the U.S. Army policed the area, and expelled any inhabitant each autumn who did not have shelter (or the resources to pay for shelter) for the harsh winter.
By 1910 Nome’s population had fallen to 2,600, and by 1934, to less than 1,500.
In May 1910, the Industrial Worker, the newspaper of the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), published a notice from the Nome Miners’ Union and Local 240 of the Western Federation of Miners for all unemployed workers to stay away, saying that “[a]ll the rich mines are practically worked out.”
Fires in 1905 and 1934, as well as violent storms in 1900, 1913, 1945 and 1974, destroyed much of Nome’s gold rush era architecture. The pre-fire “Discovery Saloon” is now a private residence and is being slowly restored as a landmark.
The Black Wolf Squadron, under the command of Capt. St. Clair Streett, landed here on August 23, 1920, after the culmination of a 4527-mile flight from Mitchel Field.Noel Wien and Gene Miller based their air services from Nome in June 1927.
In 1925, Nome was the destination of the famous Great Race of Mercy, in which dog sleds played a large part in transporting diphtheria serum through harsh conditions. In 1973, Nome became the ending point of the 1,049+ mi Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. The latter part of its route was used in the serum run.
The sled driver of the final leg of the relay was the Norwegian-born Gunnar Kaasen; his lead sled dog was Balto. A statue of Balto by F.G. Roth stands near the zoo in Central Park, New York City. Leonhard Seppala ran the penultimate, and longest, leg of the 1925 serum run to Nome. One of his dogs, Togo, is considered the forgotten hero of the Great Race of Mercy; another of his dogs, Fritz, is preserved and on display at the Carrie M. McLain Memorial Museum in Nome.
World War II and later
During World War II, Nome was the last stop on the ferry system for planes flying from the United States to the Soviet Union for the Lend-lease program. The airstrip currently in use was built and troops were stationed there. One “Birchwood” hangar remains and has been transferred to a local group with hopes to restore it. It is not located on the former Marks Air Force Base (now the primary Nome Airport); rather it is a remnant of an auxiliary landing field a mile or so away: “Satellite Field”. In the hills north of the city, there were auxiliary facilities associated with the Distant Early Warning system that are visible from the city but are no longer in use.
Total gold production for the Nome district has been at least 3.6 million troy ounces.
Nome’s population decline continued after 1910 although at a fairly slow rate. By 1950 Nome had 1,852 inhabitants. By 1960 the population of Nome had climbed to 2,316. At this point placer gold mining was still the leading economic activity. The local Alaska Native population was involved in ivory carving and the U.S. military had stationed troops in the city also contributing to the local economy.
The Hope Sled Dog Race was run between Anadyr, Russia, and Nome after the fall of the Soviet Union. The race continued for more than a decade, but has not been run since approximately 2004.
The Serum Run Expedition would like to thank the following villages, tribal councils, school districts, lodges, hosts and volunteers. Without them none of this would be possible for the thirteen participants.
Roughwoods Inn, Nenana, AK
Old Minto Family Recovery Camp & Community
First Chief Joseph Alexander
Beaver Point Lodge & Myles Thomas and Family
Manley Lodge & Lisa Owens
Tanana Chiefs Tribal Council
City of Tanana
City of Ruby
City of Galena
City of Nulato
City of Kaltag (home of the loan snowmachine)
Yukon-Koyukuk School District
Native Village of Unakaleet
Bering Straight School District
City of Shaktoolik
City of Koyuk
City of Elim
Village of White Mountain
Dan Harrelson, VSPO
Village of Nuuk
City of Nome
Nome Kennel Club
ATTLA Movie c/o Good Docs, Catharine Axley and Nome Kennel Club
There are countless others who have helped us organize a vaccine clinic in some of the villages as well as a community project to replace signage on the historic Iditarod Trail
Cold Spot Feeds
Northern Air Cargo
Dog Works Radio
Husky Talk podcast
Casey Ann Randall
Dr. Laura Hatfield, Ph.D.
Dr. Clark Zealand, Ph.D.
The Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education
T.J. Miller, Department head at University of Alaska Anchorage
Alaska Dog Works
Wells Fargo Wasilla and Nome branches