Odd and Interesting Facts About Dogs!
- It is a myth that dogs are color blind. They can actually see in color, just not as vividly as humans. It is akin to our vision at dusk.
- Dogs DO have better low-light vision than humans because of a special light-reflecting layer behind their retinas.
- Like human babies, Chihuahuas are born with a soft spot in their skull which closes with age.
- The breed Lundehune has 6 toes and can close its ears
- Franklin Roosevelt spent $15,000 for a destroyer to pick up his Scottie in the Aleutian Islands
- In Roman times, mastiffs donned light armor and were sent after mounted knights
- The Russians trained dogs during WWII to run suicide missions with mines strapped to their backs
- A one year old dog is as mature, physically, as a 15 year old human
- In 2002 alone, more people in the U.S. were killed by dogs than by sharks in the past 100 years
- Three dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic – a Newfoundland, a Pomeranian, and a Pekingese
An estimated 1,000,000 dogs in the U.S. have been named as the primary beneficiaries in their owner’s will
- Dog’s nose prints are as unique as a human’s finger prints and can be used to accurately identify them
- Humans have kept dogs as pets for over 12,000 years
- Only dogs and humans have prostates
- Every dog on earth likely descended from a species knows as the Tomarctus – a creature that roamed the earth over 15 million years ago